Coconut yogourt

As most of you will have noticed, I have been making cow milk yogourt in the past. I felt it was the most creamy probiotics to eat in my morning granolas. A couple of months ago, I decided to veer away from already known allergens, especially in the summertime, because I suffer from rather severe seasonal bouts. I have known about my cow's milk allergy since childhood, but consciously decided to avoid changing my diet, probably out of stubborness, I suppose. 




So, I started making almond, cashew and other nut milk, but to get something as creamy as yogourt, I opted for coconut yogurt. On the picture, you can see I froze it into the perfect summertime pops! 
I had to try it a couple of times to get it right and to make it economic ( the use of coconut cream instead of pre-made coconut milk is key ), but here is the result of this experimentation. Once again, no special machines, just a good old slow cooker and a thermometer.

Makes about 3 liters of yogourt ( you may freeze what you can't eat in a week or so ).




Ingredients:
-4 boxes of coconut cream such as "Grace" products. I bought them at Walmart's. If you want to avoid dairy, don't buy the powdered version because it contains milk products;
-2250 liters of water;
- 1 cup of coconut yogurt, such as "So Delicious". It contains all the bacterias needed to start the first batch* ( also bought at Walmart's ). Afterwards, just keep a cup of your own made yogourt to start the next batch;
- 2 tablespoons of Agar-Agar ( bought at the Asian store ).

* You don't need all of these live bacterias to make yogourt, but this brand contains these ones:
L. Bulgaricus, S. Thermophilus, L. Rhamnosus, L. Acidophilus, Bif. Bifidum et Bif. Animalis. Their combination gives different taste and textures.

Please not that I haven't added sugar to my first batch as the starter contained some, but the following ones you will need to add sugar to feed the bacterias. 

Method:

- Put the 4 coconut cream and water in the skow cooker on the high setting to melt it. Wait until the temperature rises to 185 F ( approximately 2 hours );
- Add in the agar agar and mix well;
- Turn off the cooker and let it cool ( uncovered ) until the temperature reaches 110 F ( approximately 3 hours );
- Take 2 cups of this cooled liquid, mix in the coconut yogourt starter, mix well;
- Put this mixture back in the cooker, mix well, cover and wrap the cooker in a blanket and let sit overnight;
- The next morning, transfer in you preffered containers and enjoy. It preserves well approximately 3 weeks.

Don't forget to keep a cup of this yogourt to start your next batch!


0 comments

Recettes Seulement

Flickr Images

Popular Posts